The results of the International Media Art Competition for Art Students
KampusART arts programme organized a media art competition for art students around the world. The competition objective was to find media works of art that address one or more of the following keywords each in their own individual way: access, entanglements, glitch, material sensations.
The results of the competition has been decided. The jury has selected 14 artworks for the Conversations of Our Time media art programme. The works will be screened on EduCity’s media wall in October-November 2021.
Reflections on materiality and collaborative practices
By the deadline, we received 41 competition entries from nine countries and seventeen art colleges. The entries were judged by Taina Erävaara (KampusART artistic committee/Chair, Head of Fine Arts), Henna-Riikka Halonen (Visual Artist and Lecturer in Contemporary Art) and Hertta Kiiski (Visual Artist).
In the selection process, the jury emphasized collaborative practices, engaged working process and topicality.
The jury found that it is important the selected artworks to represent different viewpoints and approaches towards media art, versatile cultural backgrounds and in addition make sure that both the international BA and MA education programmes were represented. The jury was delighted with the high standard of the proposed media artworks, which made the selection task difficult.
The jury has selected three winners who will receive a prize of EUR 500 each. The winners will be announced in the autumn.
The selected artists are:
- Ali Ardalan (HDK-Valand Academy, Gothenburg university, Sweden)
Joel Danielsson & Louise Öhman (Umeå Academy of Fine Arts, Sweden)
- Fiona Gordon (Limerick School of Art & Design, Ireland)
- Matti Harju (The University of the Arts Helsinki, Academy of Fine Arts, Finland)
- Bragi Hilmarsson (Listaháskóli Íslands / Iceland University of the Arts, Iceland)
- Johanna Juupaluoma (Turku UAS Arts Academy, Finland)
- Johanna Lahtinen, Aro Mielonen & Julia Strandman, Julia (LAB, Turku UAS Arts Academy, Aalto University, Finland)
- Ivy Lockhart, Ivy (School of the Museum of Fine Arts, USA)
- Sami Pikkarainen (Turku UAS Arts Academy, Finland)
- Verneri Salonen (The University of the Arts Helsinki, Academy of Fine Arts, Finland)
- Emelié Sterner & Sebastian Rudolph Jensen (HDK-Valand Academy, Gothenburg university, Sweden)
- Aap Kaur Suvi (Estonian Academy of Arts, Estonia)
- Patsy Tyrrell (National College of Art and Design, Ireland)
- Daniel Villodas Palpa (The University of the Arts Helsinki, Academy of Fine Arts, Finland)